How to find and use your Milestone credit card
Having bad credit can jeopardize all your future financial plans. Making regular payments on a credit card can be a fast track to improving your credit, as most major credit card companies report to the three major credit bureaus. Unfortunately, if you currently have bad credit, it can be difficult to get approved for a credit card.
Read: This credit score mistake could cost Americans millions
The Milestone Mastercard can help you escape this cycle by giving you the opportunity to build or rebuild your credit with low credit requirements. Unlike most credit cards, you won’t receive a denial letter from Milestone based on your credit rating, as these cards are specifically designed for applicants who have previously had credit issues. Milestone reports your payments to the three major credit bureaus.
If you think the Milestone Mastercard is right for your credit needs, the first step is to apply for a card and activate your login information. Here’s how to start.
How to Apply for a Milestone Credit Card
You must apply for and be approved for a Milestone credit card before you can create your online account and log in. If you haven’t applied for your card yet, follow these steps first.
- Visit the Milestone website and click on the area labeled “Quick Pre-Qualification”.
- This link will take you to the pre-qualification application, which you will need to submit in order to be considered for a card. To apply, you will need to submit your full legal name, address, email address, phone number, date of birth, and social security number.
- After entering your personal information, click on “Pre-qualify now”.
- Milestone uses an automated subscription system, which means most users will have a decision on whether you are approved quickly. Wait for your approval, which shouldn’t take more than a few minutes.
- If you are approved, review your approval and the annual rate and fee that comes with your card. Interest rates, fees and other expenses will vary depending on the details of your individual application.
- Finalize your application with Milestone and verify that the address you submitted is correct. You will receive your Milestone Mastercard and login details by mail.
How to find and use your Milestone credit card
Once you have applied for your Milestone credit card and been approved, the company will prepare a welcome package for you. This package will include both the physical card you can use to start shopping as well as your login details. Here’s how to access your online account using your login credentials when you receive them.
- Wait for your Milestone card to arrive in the mail. Most cards arrive within 14 days of approval.
- Visit the Milestone Map Activation website. Before you can start using your card, you must activate both the card itself and your online portal.
- Click on the section called “Register an account”.
- Have your login information and card handy when you start the activation process. Enter your card number, date of birth, and social security number to begin activation.
- After entering your information, you will be prompted to create a username and password for your account. Follow the prompts to create your login information.
- Keep your information safe and complete the final steps of the setup process. Consider signing up for autopay if you tend to forget to make your credit card payments on time.
Once your account and card are activated, you can start enjoying your benefits. Your Milestone Mastercard will work at any online or in-person retailer that accepts Mastercard.
How to Improve Your Credit Score Using the Milestone Credit Card
Once you have your active card in hand, you can start using it to work towards a higher credit score by following these steps:
- Use your Milestone card to make a purchase. If your goal is to improve your score quickly, use the card to make a small purchase that you can repay in full by the end of the month.
- Keep track of your expenses using your online portal and be aware of when your monthly payments are due.
- Using your online account, pay your credit card bill by the due date. If you’re having trouble keeping up with your payments, consider signing up for autopay before your credit card payment is due.
- Note the minimum credit card payment per your unique account terms and ensure that your payment is not less than the minimum. To avoid paying interest, pay your balance in full each month.
Milestone will report all your payments to the credit bureaus. If you stick to your payment schedule and stay consistent, you’ll score higher over time.
Remember, Milestone doesn’t just report your on-time payments to credit bureaus – if you miss a payment, Milestone will report it too. While a Milestone credit card can make it easier to access credit with a low score, it can also hurt your score if you start missing payments.
If you’ve had issues with overspending in the past, you may want to make one small payment at the start of each month before locking the card. Even if you only use your credit card once a month to pay for a pizza or a movie ticket, your score will still improve.
Information is accurate as of September 23, 2022.
Editorial note: This content is not provided by any entity covered by this article. Any opinions, analyses, criticisms, evaluations, or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.
Our in-house research team and on-site financial experts work together to create accurate, unbiased and up-to-date content. We check every stat, quote and fact using trusted primary resources to ensure that the information we provide is correct. You can read more about GOBankingRates processes and standards in our Editorial Policy.
Comments are closed.